Firstly...Happy new year to all my readers!
We've begun 2015, and we've all thought about our resolutions for the new year. Everyone has at least one goal in mind related to getting healthier, fitter, or reaching a target weight. But it's this time of the year when I see many people determined to try the latest diet, instead of focusing on longer term lifestyle changes.
So I ask my friends - are you not tired of trying every fad diet without seeing any encouraging, nor much less, lasting results? And then promising yourself that you'll start again next Monday, only to fail by Wednesday when your friend insists on mid-week drinks?
I find that too many people are wasting time and energy on short-term restrictive diets, and are generally too focused on calories in- calories out, missing out on common toxic, weight-gain triggers.
So I want to share with you some KEY tips to losing those extra pounds, and more importantly, to getting your health on the right track in order to keep those pounds off for good:
1. Eat WHOLE foods. Fresh vegetables, fruits, and protein (animal or plant-based) should make up at least 80% of your diet. AVOID processed, packaged foods. This includes whole wheat bread and crackers...
2. Drink lots of water. Wake up every morning and have 2 glasses of water. Try to always have filtered water. Keep it room temperature, and drink most of your water in between meals for optimal digestion.
3. Eat fat! Yes, that's right, healthy fats are key to weight loss. My favorites include coconut oil, olive oil, avocados, raw nuts and seeds.
4. Exercise daily. Yes, daily. If you can't fit in that morning jog or after-work bootcamp class, just make sure to get in a 15 min walk and a few yoga stretches.
5. Sleep! Getting enough hours of deep, uninterrupted sleep is one of the most important factors for a healthy life. Having a dark, cool room helps to secrete that needed melatonin for a healthy snooze.
6. Eliminate daily. Make sure you're drinking enough water and eating enough fiber to get those bowel movements going. This is key for getting rid of toxins.
7. Stop eating when you're 80% full. Learn to listen to your body. It's not happy when you over-stuff it, or give it too much carbs - that eventually lead to a sugar crash and bring on sluggishness. Avoid overeating and your belly will thank you.
8. Don't skip meals. Most importantly, have a healthy, nutrient-packed breakfast every morning to start off your day right. This will prevent you from overeating later in the day.
9. Make sure your meals are BALANCED, with lots of yummy greens, some high quality carbs and fats, and always containing some protein. Protein keeps you full and keeps you from grabbing that unnecessary sugary snack. Note: there are many sources of healthy vegetarian protein, including nuts, seeds, gluten-free grains (ex. quinoa), legumes like lentils and chickpeas, and even kale has a good amount of protein.
10. Love yourself. Take time to pamper yourself and de-stress. Give yourself a hot towel scrub (promotes circulation), take a relaxing bath with a few drops of lavender essential oils and a scoop of detoxifying Epsom salts. Light a candle. Curl up in bed with 50 shades of grey...Whatever works for you!
These tips are just some general basics to get you on track for the new year, but I would stress that every person is different and it's important to pay attention to your body to see what works well for and what doesn't.
If you'd like my help and support in reaching your health and weight loss goals, contact me via my website: www.balancewithmariana.com/contact or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.