Apple cider vinegar is one of those old-school kitchen ingredients that has so many wonderful uses and beneficial properties that many of us nowadays have no idea about. So I'm here to help spread that wisdom, sharing a few tips that will hopefully send you straight to the supermarket to get yourself a bottle!
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is made by fermenting the sugars from apples, which creates acetic acid. Acetic acid has many beneficial properties and uses including:
1. Improves digestion
Taking ACV before a meal (dilute a spoon of ACV in warm water or tea) will help reduce bloating/gas, and can also help with constipation.
2. Improves insulin sensitivity and lowers blood sugar levels
3. Has anti-microbial properties which helps fight Candida
Candida is linked to gut problems such as constipation, sugar cravings, poor memory, fatigue & yeast infections, so it's key to detect and treat quickly.
4. Helps kill toe-nail fungus when taken regularly
In this case, I recommend getting ACV in capsule form to make daily supplementation easier.
5. Serves as a good natural food preservative, as studies show that it inhibits bacteria (like E. coli) from growing in the food and spoiling it
So when storing your food, add a drop or two of ACV.
6. A great, natural disinfectant for your home.
Mix 1 part ACV with 2 parts water as a multi-purpose cleaner. It's cheaper than store-bought products, and by using it instead of other harmful, chemical-laden products, you're detoxifying your home.
7. Great for your hair as it removes dandruff and adds shine
Spray or lather your hair twice a week with a tonic made from equal parts ACV and water after shampoo and leave for 10-15 mins and you should see results!
8. Regulates the pH of your skin
ACV serves as a great toner for acne-prone skin (use 2 parts water, 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar). When left overnight, it can help fade age spots and acne scars. It also helps relieve sunburn.
9. Balances your body
ACV helps to create an ideal alkaline pH level in your body, which is also said to increase energy levels and fight against infections.
10. Helps fight against mucus, so together with its antibacterial properties, it's a great remedy for a sore throat
Mix a spoon of ACV in a cup with warm water, 2-3 spoons of honey and a dash of cayenne pepper for best results.
Hopefully now you're as much in love with Apple Cider Vinegar as I am, and have added it to your shopping list! I recommend buying organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (like Bragg's) which contains strands of proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria great for your gut. It's inexpensive and can be found in almost any supermarket. Happy shopping!