This is quite a special week for me – celebrating my birthday on Monday and International Women’s Day today. So I’ve taken the time to pause, reflect and be thankful. And I wanted to share this with you.
Let’s all (men, too!) be thankful today for what women do every day, for what we give to the world. Because we offer a special gift, with our open and vulnerable hearts, our motherly instincts, our caring nature, our desire to always offer love and support. And of course, because we bring new lives into this world.
As part of my practice as a Health Coach, I like to remind every woman that I work with to be PROUD of who they are, and to remember that even though we as women always struggle to be and look perfect, we’re already perfect inside. And that beauty gets reflected most once we recognize it and fully love ourselves. So today, ladies, be grateful for exactly who you are, and accept all of your flaws and love them too.
Now I’d like to share with you 5 HEALTH TIPS FOR ALL WOMEN. Try applying these tips this week as a show of love to your body!
1. DE-STRESS by eating stress-busting foods every day. We’re more likely to worry than men, it’s part of how our brain is set up, so women generally need to take extra precaution to relieve stress and anxiety. EAT: nuts and seeds, avocados, oats, salmon, spinach and other magnesium-rich leafy greens
2. SLEEP 7-9 hours every day. Women are more likely to get cravings, and one of the key ways to eliminate cravings is getting enough sleep. Plust it help us remain calm and happy.
3. AVOID FAD DIETS. All of us women LOVE to stress about our weight and find the newest diet, only to be more stressed and disappointed. It’s exhausting and expensive. I went through it, and one of the best changes I made in my life was to never diet again. Instead, try this: work on building 1 healthier habit every month, and just that will help you a lot more towards reaching your optimal weight. Start by the obvious – cut back on sugar. Make a goal and practice it every day for the month. If you slip up one day to celebrate, that’s ok, you're gradually building a habit, but it's not a diet. Just get back on it the next day. Then create a new goal and add on. That way these become lifestyle changes that will help you without that feeling of deprivation.
4. YOGA & BARRE. The benefits of these exercises are numerous, but i'll share just a few reasons why women benefit from yoga and barre. Women tend to store a lot of emotions in our hips, and learning to open up our hips is key for our long-term mental and physical health. Flexibly in general is key, and both yoga and barre are great ways to improve flexibility. Lifting light weights (as we do in barre), as well as lifting our own body weight (as in yoga) are of the most effective ways to build lean muscle that burns more calories and eliminates the belly fat.
5. SHARE & ALLOW FOR GUIDANCE. Women are great at sharing, opening up and seeking help – which is a great thing that helps us live longer! And having someone trustworthy to hear you out and help you on your journey to becoming a healthier, more organized and happier YOU is awesome. So find a life coach, a health coach, and/or small group of friends, and allow for guidance to help you reach your goals.
To all the ladies in my life and my female followers/readers – THANK YOU for supporting my work, for your appraisal and constant motivation to keep going. You inspire me and I hope I do, too!