Last week I wrote about why I still love coconut oil despite the controversy on saturated fats. Today I wanted to share with you many of the fabulous ways that I use coconut oil.
To recap, some of the top benefits of Coconut Oil include:
- Kills bacteria and fungus, including Candida
- Boosts energy
- Improves digestion and overall gut health
- Supports weight loss and fat burning
- Lowers inflammation
- Balances hormones and blood sugar levels
- Increases HDL (the "good cholesterol"), improving cholesterol ratios
- Tastes amazing and is so versatile for recipes!
- Moisturizes & heals the skin, hair and even teeth/gums
Now here are 14 ways in which I use coconut oil on a regular basis:
IN MY KITCHEN:
- ALL COOKING. I use coconut oil VERY often to cook my veggies, stews, fish, chicken, and more! It's my #1 alternative to extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), particularly for higher-heat cooking, as coconut oil has a higher smoke-point than EVOO. I use it for sautéing garlic/onion before adding veggies, grains or fish/meat of choice, for roasting veggies, all baking, and even for occasional “frying” of things like plantain chips, sweet potato chips, or my lightly battered shrimp (using gluten-free flour of course!). Oh and it works especially great when making curries!
- EGGS. Just 1 teaspoon of coconut oil works as a great, healthier “non-stick spray” solution, which is ideal when making eggs. They taste better and don’t stick to the pan!
- HEALTHY DESSERTS. My easy homemade raw vegan desserts (ex. chocolate date balls) almost all use coconut oil. It’s so versatile and makes the recipes even yummier.
- HOMEMADE GRANOLA & GRANOLA BARS. My awesome recipes use coconut oil - and are not only delicious but also super healthy!
- BOOST FOR MY CHIA PUDDING, especially when I have it as a pre-workout snack. Chia seeds are known to help boost performance and endurance, and coconut oil can aid in the digestion and metabolizing of chia seeds. Plus, the medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) in coconut oil are known to give you a relatively quick boost of energy, so again, perfect pre-workout combo.
- BOOST FOR MY (OCCASIONAL) COFFEE / MATCHA TEA LATTE / TEECCINO (a coffee-like-substitute that I love). If you blend a tbsp. of coconut oil with your tea or coffee, it'll give it it a creamier texture and adds an energy boost. Try it!!
- BOOST FOR MY GREEN SMOOTHIES (that I enjoy post morning-workout). Just a teaspoon can help with so many things, including:
- Constipation relief
- Boost energy and burn fat - the MCT’s in coconut oil have been proven to help your body to burn fat for energy
- Balance blood sugar – coconut oil supposedly encourages more efficient secretion of insulin from the pancreas (and this is personally something I’m working on!)
- Balance hormones – research shows coconut oil supports the thyroid and adrenal glands, helps lower cortisol and lower inflammation
- Support my gut – coconut oil is known to help destroy bad bacteria, promote growth of probiotics and help heal leaky gut (something I once suffered from)
IN MY BATHROOM:
- OIL PULLING. I swish about 1 rounded teaspoon of coconut oil first thing in the morning for about 10-15 minutes swishing (I’ll do it while I wash my face and prepare my lemon water). Then I spit it out in the toilet or trash can to avoid clogging the sink. I learned this practice from my studies of Ayurvedic medicine, where oil pulling is used regularly to detoxify the mouth, and it’s known to kill bad breath, fight bacteria, cure tooth decay and heal gums. I aim to do this at least twice a week, and daily when doing a detox.
- HOMEMADE TOOTHPASTE. Check out my video and blog for my simple recipe!
- MAKEUP REMOVER. I keep a jar of coconut oil in my bathroom, and dip a clean cotton ball in my coconut oil, then rub over my face to remove make-up. I personally find that nothing works as well as coconut oil, and despite having acne-prone skin, I haven’t found coconut oil to make me break-out, which is awesome. However, I always wash my face after.
- SELF-MASSAGE. I love to use coconut oil for a quick self-massage after I shower. I aim to do this once a week. Coconut oil is a great way to hydrate dry skin and doing it after your shower helps lock in moisture. And the benefits of a self-massage are numerous, even 5 minutes can make a difference in your skin.
- PERSONAL LUBRICANT. Coconut oil is a safe personal lubricant (vs. most commercial ones that have toxic ingredients). Plus, it’s natural antifungal / antimicrobial properties help keep your vaginal flora healthy.
- MOISTURIZING HAIR MASK. I sometimes get dry scalp, and coconut oil is great for relieving my dry scalp. I’ll cover my hair in coconut oil and let it sit for 30 minutes (while I multi-task) then rinse and shampoo/conditioner as I regularly would. Note: I’ll do this on a night when I have nothing to do, then shampoo again the next day because I find it takes 2 shampoo cycles to remove the oil (sometimes 3!). Coconut oil will help prevent dandruff, promote hair growth, and give you shiny locks!
- NAIL CUTICLE OIL. Coconut oil helps soften your cuticles. And remember it has great anti-fungal properties which can help prevent any yucky nail fungus issues. Supposedly it can help your nails grow more, too.
What do YOU use coconut oil for? I love to learn new tips from you, too, so please share.
Comment below, and SHARE this article with others….anyone can benefit!