Happy Valentines Day!
Today is a great reminder to embrace love - with ourselves and our loved ones - and of course, to carve out a little "sexy time" if you can.
A healthy, balanced diet will not only help you LOOK better and FEEL more confident (important for sex drive), but also delivers key nutrients to keep your libido high.
And there is no better way to get started than with this nutrient-dense smoothie on V-Day. (And yes, it's a green smoothie, but it's a DELICIOUS one that you will LOVE).
Valentines Day Libido Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut water (more if needed)
- 1 cup baby spinach (and/or other greens, including baby kale and/or baby romaine)
- 1 teaspoon powdered spirulina (or can be a blend of spirulina, chlorella and other superfoods; option to increase serving to 1 tablespoon)
- 1 small banana
- ¼ small/medium avocado (ex. Hass avocado)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons cashew butter (can use raw cashews if you don’t have cashew butter)
- 1 centimeter (or up to 1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
Instructions: Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy! Note: option to add a tiny bit of pure stevia, raw honey or more fruit if it's "too green" for you, but I find that with the coconut water, banana, cashew butter and cinnamon, it's just perfect!
Why is this smoothie awesome for your libido?
- Coconut water: Boosts energy, restores hydration and electrolytes, can help reduce high blood pressure. It improves blood flow (primarily due to the high electrolytes), and has been known to serve as an aphrodisiac.
- Spinach: Dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and romaine are high in folate, a B-vitamin proven to help improve ovulation. They also naturally increase libido. Women who eat spinach and other foods rich in B-vitamins have a 25% lower risk of getting premenstrual syndrome (PMS), according to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
- Spirulina: Helps balance blood sugar, lower bad cholesterol (which helps improve fertility), supports endurance (very important) and helps reduce fatigue. In addition, spirulina has been studied for its ability to increase production of antibodies that help fight against cancer.
- Banana: Bananas contain an enzyme called ‘bromelain’ which helps stimulate male libido. Bananas are also a good source of B vitamins like riboflavin which increase the body’s total energy levels. They’re also rich in potassium (which together with the B vitamins) are vital for sex-hormone production! Bananas also help deliver the feel-good neurochemical serotonin into the bloodstream, which elevates mood and calms the nervous system. Additionally, they provide healthy prebiotic fiber and magnesium for regular digestion.
- Avocado: Helps to increase both male and female libido as it contains very high levels of folic acid, which assists in metabolizing proteins, providing you with more energy and stamina. Avocado is also a great source of vitamin B6, a nutrient which improves male hormone production, and potassium, which helps to regulate a woman’s thyroid gland. AND I'll add an interesting fact: the Aztecs called the avocado tree ahuacatl or “testicle tree”...!
- Pumpkin Seeds: Very high in zinc, which is essential for healthy female hormones (particularly estrogen which is responsible for our sex drive), as well as healthy sperm production and preventing testosterone deficiency in men. Pumpkin seeds are also loaded with libido-boosting vitamins and minerals like vitamin B, E, C, D, K, and minerals including calcium, potassium, niacin, and phosphorous.
- Hemp Seeds: Provide healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, as well as a ton of protein and fiber, and an awesome supply of vitamins/minerals such as magnesium, iron, zinc, as well as L-arginine... all key for healthy hormones (and key for replenishing healthy testosterone levels).
- Cashews: Like many other nuts, cashews are rich in L-Arginine which improves sexual functions in men, helping with blood circulation which can lead to more energy and help with sexual issues. Additionally, they're a great source of healthy fats (and some plant-based protein), which help keep you full for hours, giving you that much-needed boost of energy (plus they add a delicious creaminess!)
- Ginger: Ginger increases blood flow in sexual organs and warms the blood, optimizing the body’s temperature. It's also amazing for digestion (and more!).
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is considered to be one of the most effective natural aphrodisiacs. It heats the body, increasing appetite, both physical and sexual. It's also one of the best natural ways to balance blood sugar, and - interesting little known fact - it's great for clearing blemishes/acne.
Want to make sure you're getting all the libido-boosting nutrients? Focus on getting enough of the following nutrients (and consider taking high-quality supplements, too):
- Omega-3 fatty acids
On top of that, it's important to EXERCISE regularly, find ways to DESTRESS, and avoid foods/bad habits that lower your libido (including alcohol, diet sodas, almost all processed foods, in many cases soy, tobacco).
Today, start by making this smoothie for yourself and your significant other, and let me know how it goes!
Happy Valentines Day, and wishing you lots of LOVE and a healthy libido!