Turmeric is a yellowish-orange colored spice, most commonly used in Indian curries, and is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory and disease-fighting agents on the planet!
It has been used as a medicinal herb in India for years, and recently has been discovered worldwide for its medicinal properties. Studies have shown the benefits of Turmeric to be just as effective (and MORE effective in some cases) than Ibuprofen, Advil, and many prescription medications.
Here are some the proven benefits of curcumin, the most active ingredient in Turmeric:
- Help lower inflammation. (This is HUGE because low-grade chronic inflammation has been linked to many common diseases, from heart conditions to Alzheimer’s and cancer)
- Controls blood sugar spikes and insulin resistance
- Helps regulate high cholesterol
- Boosts immunity and the antioxidant capacity of our body
- Helps manage Arthritis symptoms (and generally, works as a pain reliever!)
- Can lower the risk of heart disease
- Has anti-cancer properties, helping to prevent the growth of cancer cells
- Can improve many skin conditions like Eczema, and more!
It's amazing, and a little goes a long way. Plus, it's so easy to incorporate into your diet. Here are some of my favorite ways to use turmeric: