Are you struggling to get rid of that little bulge at the waistline of your jeans, that stubborn roll of fat that seems to become a bigger problem as the years go on? Too many people (especially women) think cutting calories for a week or two, and maybe doing some ab exercises, is the answer to eliminating their muffin-top, but time and again we find that it's not enough.
This extra bump of fat around the abdominal area stems from excess visceral fat - the dangerous type that increases your risk of serious health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and even cancer.
The good news is, it can be controlled!
Eating the right anti-inflammatory foods will make the difference, and of course, staying away from the white powders - sugar, white flour and table salt. Eat the following foods and work your way towards a flat belly:
1. Blueberries. Filled with fiber and phytonutrients, these delicious berries are known to have the highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruit, and are linked to lower insulin levels and lower visceral fat.
2. Wild salmon. Filled with healthy omega 3 fatty acids, this flavorful fish is also said to aid in reducing visceral fat and leveling out insulin levels. Look for wild, pacific-caught and avoid farm raised, Atlantic salmon which is injected with potentially harmful antibiotics.
3. Avocados. Filled with mono-saturated (healthy) fats, potassium, and fiber, this low-glycemic fruit is an amazing addition to your salad. It aids in the absorption of antioxidants – specifically carotenoids- that help control belly fat and inflammation. These babies switch off the body’s fat storing hormones, and also boost your metabolism!
4. Raw nuts and seeds. Even though people associate nuts with fat, eating raw nuts like almonds has proven to help reduce BMI, waist circumference and body fat. Raw nuts and seeds are a good source of protein, fiber, and also contain magnesium, which helps improve digestion and lower excess belly fat. They provide a great boost of energy as a mid-afternoon snack (plus, are great for you skin, hair and nails!). Just keep your portions under control and try to avoid roasted and salted variations - always opt for raw.
5. Sweet potatoes. Not only are they a great source of beta-carotene, vitamin B6 and vitamin C, but adding this vegetable to your meal will help curb sugar cravings and stop you from reaching for that dessert. Also, they have awesome anti-inflammatory properties that will keep that belly fat in check! They're delicious, inexpensive and so versatile- have them baked, pureed, steamed or add them to your stew or soup.
I also recommend drinking green tea, as the antioxidants in green tea help burn excess belly fat. Adding certain spices like cinnamon and turmeric to your diet are great as well.
Lastly, it's important to know that elevated insulin levels (from too many carbs and sugar), and cortisol (from stress), make this belly fat worse.
Conclusion? Eat these 5 anti-inflammatory foods, cut down on sugar and refined carbs, and make sure to keep those stress levels in check! Practice deep breathing exercises, yoga, meditation, long walks, even relaxing baths, and your belly will be happier and flatter.
if you want more personalized guidance, reach out to me at email@example.com and we can set up a free initial coaching session.
Lots of love,