Many people have asked me about my “DIY” recipes for self-care, and about what I do to stay “clean” (i.e. minimizing my toxic exposure) on a daily basis. The answers to these 2 questions are centered around Essential Oils.
Not sure what Essential Oils are or why you should care? Today I'll give you a quick 101 on the magic of essential oils, why I love them, how I use them, and why you should consider incorporating them into your routine if you're on a journey to a healthier lifestyle.
What are Essential Oils and how/why do we use them?
Essential oils are naturally occurring aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers and other parts of plants. They're mostly known for their natural fragrance (they’re what give plants their unique smell), but their use goes way beyond fragrance. They have long been used for FOOD prep and cooking, BEAUTY treatments, MEDICAL / HEALTHCARE practices, and more!
And I find that they're essential if you're looking for more NATURAL ways to heal yourself, get beautiful, and nourish yourself.
Depending on the oil, they can be used for aromatherapy, applied topically, and/or taken internally:
- Aromatically – Essential Oils have a powerful effect on our senses, and in case you didn't know, what we SMELL can impact our physiologic, mental, and emotional responses. When diffused, certain essential oils can be very stimulating and uplifting, while others can be calming and soothing. Diffusing essential oils can also cleanse and purify the air of unwanted odors.
- Topically - Essential oils are easily absorbed by the skin and can be safely applied topically (either directly, or mixed with a “carrier oil” such as coconut oil, sesame oil, and others).
- Internally - Certain essential oils can be used as dietary supplements, or to add flavor (and other beneficial properties) to food /drink. When ingested, essential oils enter our blood stream via the gastrointestinal tract, where they are transported to the rest of our organs, including the brain.
How do I use Essential Oils?
While there are thousands of uses for Essential Oils, I primarily use them for:
Aromatherapy & Cleaning:
- Relaxation at night: I diffuse oils particularly at night in my small diffuser. I'll add a few drops of Breathe (to help me breather better at night) and/or a few drops of Lavender and/or Serenity (a doTerra blend) to relax me. I also sometimes add a few drops directly on my pillow at night.
- Bath & Shower: Whenever I take a relaxing bath, I always add Epsom Salts and a few drops of Lavender essential oil. Also, I place a few drops of Peppermint or Eucalyptus essential oils on my shower floor, which is extremely invigorating, and reminds me of a spa!
- Day difusor: During the day, if I’m working from home, I may diffuse a more energizing blend such as Citrus essential oils.
- Laundry Dryer balls: I also apply a few drops of Essential Oils to my wool dryer balls, which I use instead of toxic dryer sheets!
- Household Cleaner: I use it for my multi-purpose house cleaner, for which I combine water, vinegar and a few drops of OnGuard (a doTerra blend) and Lemon essential oils.
- On my wrists and temples: If I need to relax, I dab a few drops of Lavender and/or Calm essential oil (a doTerra blend) on my wrists or temples. For headaches, I use Peppermint.
- My DIY toothpaste: Once a day, I use my homemade toothpaste of coconut oil, baking soda and Peppermint essential oil (and 1-2/day I use my store-bought fluoride-free toothpaste, to not overdo the baking soda on my enamel).
- My Moisturizing Face Oil (suitable for acne-prone skin): I mix grapeseed oil, hemp seed oil and rosehip oil as my “carrier oils” and add drops of tea tree and lavender essential oils.
- My Make-up Remover/ oil-cleanser: I mix castor oil, grapeseed oil and sesame oil as the “carrier oils” and add drops of lavender and frankincense oils.
- My face toner: rose hydrosol, water, apple cider vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil (to help with my occasional hormonal-related pimples)
- Body Rub: Lastly, I have just been introduced to the “Deep Blue rub” from doTerra - by my beautiful yoga instructor Yolanda Talavera - which is an awesome cream to apply to any sore muscle. Since I stared Ashtanga yoga practice, my shoulder often gets sore and this cream seems to give me instant relief!
Lastly, I often add a few drops of tea tree oil to my shampoo if/when I feel I’m getting dry scalp, or may dap directly onto a pimple to help kill the bacteria.
Why are essential oils amazing?
For so many reasons! First of all, they offer a natural alternative to fragrances. You may not realize this, but all synthetic fragrance/parfums (found in SO MANY products nowadays, from your face and body creams to your cleaning products) are endocrine disrupting, meaning they cause hormonal imbalances, and can lead to greater health issues. And not only do essential oils add a natural fragrance, they add additional anti-bacterial properties, healing properties, can relax and/or energize you, and more (depending on the oil)!
Essential Oils provide NATURAL solutions to many health concerns, and overall, are a great way of supporting anyone’s health and wellness journey - just like healthy food, water, exercise and sleep!
Where to BUY Essential Oils?
I highly recommend doTERRA oils – they’re the only ones I used after I was introduced to them by my fellow health coach and part-mentor, Holli Thompson, as being the best and highest quality oils. DoTerra oils are CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils, and are known to be the safest, purest, and most beneficial essential oils available today. You can learn more and SHOP HERE.
Please comment, ask me any questions, and of course, share your NATURAL remedies!
Love and Essential Oils,