Many of us are already counting down the weeks till summer, and naturally – especially for the ladies – having a slim, smooth, cellulite-free body is a huge goal.
Unfortunately, it's extremely common to develop some cellulite on our bod, particularly on the booty, upper legs and abdomen. However, let me start of by saying that you shouldn't be ashamed; never feel the need to hide your body. ANYONE can have cellulite (most of us do), regardless of whether we’re slim or curvy. LOVING YOUR BODY is so important, and of course, so is taking care of your body. For me, taking care of my body is the #1 way that I express love to myself and my body. And I urge you to do the same!
Back to cellulite... While we shouldn’t be ashamed, it’s still something that no one likes. Let’s be real, we all want it GONE. The good news is that there are many things you can start doing NOW to diminish your cellulite – and they don’t involve cellulite creams (which I would actually caution against). Instead, try applying these tips that I’m about to share that go hand in hand with taking care of yourself and showing love to your body.
But first, WHY do we get cellulite?
Cellulite is essentially fat deposits just below the skin, and it can be attributed to your diet, lifestyle, hormones, and partly also age and genetics. Usually it’s a combination of these things, but the first two (diet and lifestyle) are always at least partially responsible. Certain diet and lifestyle factors can lead to a buildup of toxicity in your body, and these toxins are stored in your fat, and help contribute to the “dimples” of cellulite.
So it is incredibly important to start detoxifying your body in a gentle way to get rid of these stored toxins, and then implement healthier habits in your day to day to minimize further accumulation of toxins.
On top of that, it helps to strengthen the connective tissue of your skin, and reduce fat overall.
Here are my 10 BEST TIPS FOR ELIMINATING CELLULITE:
1. FILL UP ON WATER (AND CUT OUT CAFFEINATED DRINKS). Drinking water is the #1 way to make sure you flush out toxins from your body, to prevent - and reduce - cellulite. Plus. staying hydrated will assist your skin's elasticity and help your connective tissue stay healthy and strong (so as to avoid formation of dimples). It’s equally important to avoid drinks that dehydrate you and can worsen your cellulite, such as coke, energy drinks and coffee (at least cut BACK on the coffee to 1/day).
TIP: Buy yourself a 16 oz glass water bottle, and keep it with you at all times. Aim to drink it full and refill at least 4-5 times every day (always with filtered /purified /spring water). On top of this, you can also enjoy caffeine-free herbal teas, coconut water, water with lemon, and fresh green juices.
2. MASSAGE & BRUSH YOUR SKIN. Increasing circulation of your blood and lymphatic system (which lies just below the skin) is key to preventing and reducing cellulite. Massages are a great way to stimulate your lymphatic system (helping to expel toxins through the lymp), as is dry brushing – which by the way, also promotes tighter skin and cell renewal for gorgeous skin.
Tip: On a daily basis, I highly recommend Dry Brushing. It takes one minute and is free (once you buy your natural skin brush). All you have to do is brush your body in circular motion, going towards your heart, working up from feet to your chest and shoulders – paying special attention to areas with cellulite. Do this EVERY DAY before you jump in the shower. And when you can, book a massage. It doesn’t have to be fancy, go with what you can afford as long as you enjoy it!. While detoxing, I also suggest a specific lymphatic massage.
3. MOVE & SWEAT. You release toxins through your sweat, so sweating is KEY to releasing those toxins that hid in your cellulite. Also, when you exercise, you’re increasing your circulation and stimulating the lymphatic system (back to previous point), as well as strengthening your muscles that help burn the fat where cellulite hides. Not to mention that a more toned body will help hide any appearance of cellulite. So exercise provides a triple benefit for banishing your cellulite! In addition, visiting an infrared sauna is an excellent way to sweat out your toxins.
TIP: Schedule your workouts (or sweat sessions) at the beginning of each week. Aim to sweat at least 5 days a week, if not more. Try brisk walking and jogging, jumping on a trampoline, as well as exercises that tone your booty, thighs and stomach, such as BARRE. Remember, regular excise has benefits that go beyond banishing cellulite! And if you have time, visit the sauna for 15 minutes after your workout!
4. EAT LOTS OF FRESH FRUITS & VEGGIES (particularly raw and lightly steamed or lightly sautéed). Fresh produce is filled with enzymes that help us properly break down our food (absorbing nutrients and getting rid of what we don’t need), which as a result, helps us prevent buildup of toxins. Fresh fruits and veggies also are very alkaline, which help maintain a proper pH of your blood, and push out the “toxic” acidic matter from your system.
TIP: I recommend starting your day with a green smoothie (packed with fresh fruits and vegetables) and/or a green juice, then always haying a serving of salad or greens with both lunch and dinner. As a snack, enjoy some fresh fruit!
5. WATCH YOUR SODIUM intake. Sodium is dehydrating and can contribute to cellulite. Cut back on salt (particularly table salt) and be careful with any packaged/refined foods which are almost all high in sodium (as sodium is used as a preservative).
TIP: First and foremost, replace your table salt with Himalayan pink salt and/or Celtic sea salt. Second, minimize packaged foods, and when you do by something that comes in a can/jar/package, check the sodium content! Choose options that are organic and lower in sodium.
6. LOAD UP ON SUPERFOODS. What we call “superfoods” are extremely nutrient-dense foods, that contain a ton of vitamins/minerals/fiber/antioxidants and few calories, and these are awesome to help remove toxins. Plus, they help alkalize and heal your body, while allowing your body to get the most out of the foods you eat. Examples of superfoods include: avocados, kale, broccoli, quinoa, raw almonds, pistachios, flax seeds, chia seeds, wheatgrass, spirulina, spinach, blueberries, organic eggs, wild salmon, sardines, pumpkin and sweet potatoes.
TIP: Aim for every meal to contain a “superfood”. And start your day with a big serving of superfoods by adding a scoop of powdered green superfoods to your breakfast smoothie, and enjoy this a few times a week (or every day). I like: Garden of Life Perfect Food, Amazing Grass Superfoods, Kyo-Greens, and ALOHA daily greens.
7. HEAL YOUR GUT & BALANCE YOUR HORMONES. Sometimes our gut and hormones are partly to blame for our cellulite. Especially for the women, as high estrogen levels can increase propensity to build fat. So its key that you get your hormones checked and work on natural ways to balance your hormones (and your gut)!
8. SWITCH TO NATURAL MOISTURIZERS. Sometimes your store-bought cellulite creams are filled with chemicals that end up doing more harm than good, as they increase the toxicity of your body. Instead, use pure coconut oil, sesame oil or almond oil, or opt for an organic and vegan body cream.
TIP: every day, dry brush before your shower, and do a 5-minute self-massage post-shower with any organic oil of your choice (or mix of oils). Try mixing coconut oil, shea butter and a few drops of lavender essential oil for a relaxing moisturizer before bed, or opt for citrus essential oil (instead of lavender) for a more energizing blend in the morning.
9. ADD COLLAGEN TO YOUR DIET. Collagen makes up about 75% of your skin, so having adequate collagen levels helps to strengthen the connective tissue, keeping skin tight and preventing unwanted cellulite from appearing.
TIP: add a scoop of grass-fed collagen peptides to your morning smoothie (I now do this daily!) or just mix it with your favorite nut-milk of choice and have as a shake together with your smoothie.
10. DETOX. This is probably the most useful thing you can do to get your cellulite-free bod. Remember that the key to banishing cellulite is eliminating the toxicity in your body – by getting rid of accumulated toxins and preventing further build-up of toxins.
*Even a 3-day vegan detox is extremely helpful, and for those of you in Nicaragua, I’m doing a 3 Day Detox & Yoga workshop May 19-21 in Buen Karma Yoga in Managua!